|This article is about Vorta's kinj. You may be looking for the group effect, The Hive, or its namesake Vorta.|
The Vortakinj is a living creature called a Kinj that relies on the survival of a host to stay alive. This white-tinted kinj gives its host the ability to create a Hive which enslaves its members to one way of thinking. It forms a strong bond to its host which makes it impossible for the host to transfer it to someone else. The Vortakinj also manipulates the Naviaspore - the yellow kinj.
The Vortakinj is one of seven original kinjes, however, it was hidden away in a labyrinth to ensure that only someone truly worth of the power would host it. Yavalla bore it's power for months before it was sent to Vorta, whose body was frozen to death in The Void along with her kinj.
This unique kinj has the ability to procreate and infect others, connecting them all to the bearer of the Vortakinj. Janzo likens the effect to that of Stingray flies. The kinj allows the owner to share a collective consciousness between multiple people. The members are, more or less, puppets controlled by the leader of the Hive. When the Vortakinj was reunited with its namesake Vorta, she was granted additional abilities that Yavalla did not have access too. She also hosted thousands of Naviaspore's in her arm, suggesting that she can create the kinjes hereslf without them needing to reproduce in each host. The kinj, like the other six known kinjes, has Vorta's soul attached to it.
The Vortakinj was sealed away in the Yindrian Labyrinth hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago. It was deemed too dangerous for mankind to have access too. The Yindrian's worked alongside the Blackbloods to seal the kinj away inside a snake, hidden behind three extremely difficult tests engineered to kill anyone selfish or evil. They hid the entrance to the labyrinth within someone's home. The Blackblood high priestess wrote about the Vortakinj in the ancestral texts. She also wrote of a Meld Box that contained the key to finding the Vortakinj. The ancient texts were passed down for generations until they came into the possession of Yavalla. As a high priestess, Yavalla sought the power of the Vortakinj for herself as she wanted to unite her people under one way of thinking. During the great Blackblood war against humans, Yavalla's clan was betrayed by another and sealed in the Plane of Ashes for many years. Meanwhile, the Meld Box crafted by the Yindrian's, was in possession of Sai-vek Redwan, a Blackblood man who lived peacefully with his family. Sai-vek came into contact with the Terakinj after saving a Dragman. The kinj had the power to kill anyone he touched. For the safety of his family and the world, he asked his wife to send him, and the Meld Box, to the Plane of Ashes. She obliged and Sai-vek spent a decade living in isolation.
Yavalla learned that he was the keeper of the Meld Box and sought him out. She tried to bargain with him to give her the box, but he refused as he knew the true power that the map inside would lead her. He warned her and her men that the contents are a curse that would bring death to everyone - including her. Yavalla ignored his warnings and stole the box after she speared him to the ground to live out the rest of his days. She spoke to her people of the peace that the Vortakinj could bring them, lying that it would take them through a portal to paradise. She used her power as high priestess to win over her people, including the warrior Zed. Zed was summoned through a portal to the Green World by a warrior named Talon, who possessed the Asterkinj.
After being summoned through a second time, Zed followed Yavalla's instructions to find the ingredients needed to open the Meld Box. He enslaved the human residents of Gallwood Outpost and applied pressure to Talon to open the portal and set Yavalla free. Talon was forced to oblige when the lives her friends were threatened. Yavalla came through the portal with her daughter and the Meld box. Thus, began Yavalla's fraught journey to claim the Vortakinj for herself. Her daughter Wren and a human named Janzo worked together to open the meld box, decrypt the map within, then lead Yavalla and Talon to the labyrinth. Only by working together were they able to pass the tests presented to them, with little help from Yavalla, before the kinj was allowed to be taken. Yavalla placed her hand in a hole which triggered a snake to bite and transfer a yellow kinj to her. Yavalla was able to then create The Hive by infecting thousands of people with yellow kinjes that made them complacent to her every whim.
When The Hive outbreak was at its peak, Talon worked alongside her friends to find the Terakinj and bring Sai-vek back to the Green World to kill Yavalla. Unfortunately, Yavalla pinned Sai-Vek to a wall which forced him to transfer his kinj to Queen Rosmund. Rosmund used the Terakinj to attack a shocked Yavalla. She pinned the leader to the ground and used the power of the Terakinj to destroy Yavalla's body. The Vortakinj flew out of Yavalla's body and traveled many miles until it re-entered its original host Vorta, awakening her from a thousand-year slumber.
The exact process of the Vortakinj transferring hosts is mostly unknown, as the kinj was secured in an underground blackblood citadel for thousands of years. Upon completing the labyrinth in which the kinj was hidden in, Yavalla placed her hand in a hole. A snake latched onto her hand and passed her an yellow kinj. Later that evening, Yavalla was able to infect Rosmund with a yellow kinj and create The Hive.
Powers and Abilities
Due to the interconnected nature of the hive and the kinjes, each member is connected not only to one another but to Yavalla as well. While the Vortakinj that Yavalla possesses has certain additional powers, it shares the same biological components as the yellow offspring kinjes. The original Vortakinj is exceptionally more powerful than the yellow kinjes, as it is among one of the seven original kinjes.
- Mind Control - Yavalla can manipulate her hive to obey her commands. She can take control of their bodies and move through them. The larger her hive became, the harder it became to force a singular subject to obey her command. This is shown when an infected member disobeyed an order not to pass her kinj onto a soldier, and again when Munt's loyalty to Janzo made him disobey Yavalla's command to kill Janzo and his friends. The mind control seems focalized on verbal communication; Yavalla can see through her subject's eyes and talk through their mouths.
- Hive Mind - This allows a group of people to "share" the same mind. Like most hive insects such as bees and ants, each member can work autonomously and communicate on their own without the meddling of the leader. However, Yavalla can insert herself into the conversation at any point in time, leaving the member thinking the words they spoke were their own. However, the larger the Hive became, Yavalla's access became limited. She can only see what triggers her, such as a commotion or disturbance amongst the Hive members.
- Hive Senses - Yavalla can hear and see everything that the members of her hive see and hear. They are all connected as if they were one body. Rosmund claimed she could feel Yavalla's heartbeat.
- Memory Access - Yavalla can access the memories of everyone in her hive and learn their secrets.
- Immortality - While in possession of the Vortakinj, the host is invulnerable to all forms of bodily harm. Yavalla was able to recover instantly from a fatal stab wound inflicted by Garret, while in possession of the original hive. She can regenerate her skin and limbs to the point where she is virtually indestructible. Janzo believes that the only way to truly kill Yavalla would be to burn her entire body so the kinj doesn't have any tissue left to regenerate. He also suggested cutting off her head before burning her. This enhanced regeneration ability is not passed down to the members of the hive. Yavalla's regeneration borders on immortality, as the kinj was able to regenerate not only her burned flesh but her decapitated head as well. Her inability to die made her believe she was a god.
The Vortakinj has the unique ability to reproduce kinjes, virtually creating small gold kinjes that can be passed onto others. The gold kinjes connect their hosts minds to the Vortakinj and therefore, the bearer of the Vortakinj. They share the same emotions, thoughts, and memories as one connected life force. When Yavalla bore the Vortakinj, the gold offspring kinjes reproduced twice a day which allowed her to infect unsuspecting individuals who were then inexplicably forced to spread more kinjes. However, Vorta did was not limited to the twice daily reproduction as she stored all of the Naviaspore in her arm.
The gold kinjes lack several of the Vortakinj's abilities. For instance, the gold kinj can be manipulated by Zed's kinj, the hosts are not granted immortality, and they are susceptible to the effects of Ficter's Sap. The only weakness to the reproduction of the kinj are those who already possess a Kinj, for their kinj will reject the gold kinj.
Notes and Trivia
- Yavalla's reach to the members of the Hive is unlimited. She merely has to think of someone to access their mind.
- The Kinj reproduces twice a day.