|“||The Wolf died that day in the Blackblood village. The Smith will die today, happy to have done some good in this life.||”|
Once known as the Wolf, he traveled with a group of ruthless mercenaries known as The Bones. They were instructed to slaughter many groups of people and committed genocide time and time again. One year, the Bones were tasked with killing the Blackblood village on behalf of Everit Dred. Wolf didn't hesitate and did as he was told. As a skilled archer, he killed many of the people. He chased a young girl into a tomb and shot an arrow at her. A Lu-Qiri intervened by forcing its hand through a portal and taking the arrow for the child. When Wolf looked into Talon's little eyes, he changed for the better. He called what he witnessed a miracle. He left the Bones soon after and dedicated his life to studying the prophecies and searching for understanding in the hopes he would find the girl again. He learned all he knew about the prophecy from the Loremasters. After studying the prophecy, he moved to the Gallwood Outpost and became a blacksmith, reinventing himself as "The Smith".
When Talon came to the Outpost seeking revenge on those who murdered her family, Smith kept his distance until she needed his services.
In "One Is The Loneliest Number", after Talon and Toru Magmoor's vicious fight, Talon was impaled. Smtih helped her heal after by stitching her up and keeping her safe while she healed. He also told her about the Blackblood prophecy and her potential role in it.
As The Wolf, he was a cold and selfish man that only cared about his next payment. Which usually involved him having to kill someone, who he had no trouble or mind killing. After becoming The Smith he found a peace making weapons for a living instead. This made him a kinder and gentler man. His new attitude made more people feel like he was just a simple old man with a kind loving heart. Which is why when the truth about him came out to Talon she was shocked. He also had a way of keeping certain things hidden away without letting anyone know until the time was right. This can be seen multiple times throughout the show, as in the case with The Key, and having his home be a secret entrance.
Smith viewed Talon as a friend and protégé. He helped her navigate the Lu-Qiri and reconnect with the ways of her people. Though his riddles and meticulous ways agitated her, she developed an interesting relationship with him. Upon learning of Smith's role in the slaughter of her people, she felt betrayed and went to see him. She found him mortally injured and was able to come to terms with his involvement. He admitted his guilt and apologized for his past transgressions. Smith told her that helping her was the only good thing he did in his life. He gifted her with a sword engraved with the Blackblood prophecy, and died in her arms. Talon then took it upon herself to bury him and honor his memory with a grave-site.
Season 1 (5/10)
- One Is The Loneliest Number
- Two Heads Are Better Than None
- The Mistress and the Worm
- Strange Bedfellows
- Bones to Pick
- The Book of Names (Body)
- The Colipsum Conundrum (Mentioned)
- Beyond The Wall (Mentioned)
- The Vex Rezicon (Mentioned)
- The Dragman is Coming (Mentioned)
Notes and Trivia
- Despite The Smith being killed in the first season, he had major influence throughout each of the show's season, usually having a hand in at last one Kinj involved.
- After his death in season 1 his home become Talon's.
- In Season 2, Zed was able to find the drawing of the Vor-Anden shrine key. This lead to him acquiring the Golukinj.
- In Season 3, it is discovered that Talon's Place is the entrance to the Yindrian Labyrinth. This in turn lead the rediscovery of the Vortakinj.
- In Season 4, Talon takes up the role of mentor to Luna, just like The Smith was to Talon. After Talon helped Luna master her abilities, they found Aster's body and revived him. In doing so they discovered how the kinjes came to be and how the whole Blackblood race came as well.