|“||My name is Talon. I’m the last Blackblood, or so I’ve been told. I escaped when Everit Dred killed all my people. I cut off the points of my ears to hide in plain sight. A tiny creature lives inside me passed to me by my dying mother. It gives me the power to open portals to another world and summon powerful beings called Lu-Qiri. But I can only summon them when I have their names, something that’s proving to be a challenge. The Prime Order wants me dead, but I’ve found sanctuary at the farthest edge of the Realm in a place known as the Outpost.||”|
Talon is the sole survivor of an annihilated race known as Blackbloods. When she was a child, her village and family were slaughtered in front of her by a group of mercenaries. She vowed revenge for her mother and brother and has begun her journey to avenge their deaths.
Her quest brought her to a deserted Outpost where she was able to track the men responsible. With the help of an intelligent brewer, a long-lost Queen, and a noble Captain, Talon was able to bring the mercenaries to justice. She soon begins to uncover the secrets of her people and her role in an ancient prohpecy.
One day, Talon was playing with her brother, Eremus, when she saw a Remmick. She was taken with the creature and approached it when it was shot by a group of young boys. She was angered by their kill, and they taunted her for being a filthy Blackblood. Talon jumped the oldest boy and they fought, despite her brother's protest. Talon's mother interrupted the fight. Back in their village, her mother cleaned Talon's bloody nose and scolded her about fighting. She reminded Talon that their whole village could have been exposed by her fight and that they don’t ever fight. Talon wanted to know why everyone hated them, but her mother told her she hoped not everyone did.
A group of mercenaries, known as the Bones, attacked Talon's village under orders to ensure that every Blackblood died. They lit the camp on fire and slaughtered the entire village. Talon awakened her brother and met with her mother, who picked her up and tried to carry her out of the village. Her mother, under the insistence of a villager, began to summon a Lu-Qiri but was shot with an arrow. She passed the creature known as Asterkinj onto Talon as she was dying. One of the men went to attack Talon with an ax, but Talon’s mother sliced his leg, which angered him, and he killed her while Talon escaped.
She hid in a tomb but was spotted by one of the men. He fired an arrow at her but the magic her mother passed onto her glowed and a portal appeared. A Lu-Qiri stuck its arm through the portal and the arrow went in its arm and saved Talon. The archer, known as The Wolf, shot again, this time missing on purpose. Wolf lied and told his companion, Toru Magmoor, that Talon was dead. The man signaled to their leader, Everit Dred, that they won. When Talon returned in the morning she found her village decimated and the bodies of her mother and brother. She picked up her mother’s knife which she still uses in the present day.
While wandering the woods she came across a mother and daughter with a cart of veggies. Talon went to take a piece that fell on the ground when she was spotted by the daughter, who pointed out Talon’s strange ears. The mother, Meadhbh, asked where Talon’s family was but then asked her along with them, promising food and shelter. The woman has a husband, Myron, and another older daughter along with a younger son. Talon sketched the children while they played. While washing up for dinner, she overheard the husband and wife talking about sending her away. The wife wanted to keep Talon but the husband assured her people would talk and that someone wanted her race dead for a reason. He then referred to Talon’s ears. To avoid being sent away, she cut the black tips of her ears off, which left her with scars.
Talon was taken in by the family but had trouble adjusting to their lifestyle. While out hunting, Talon struggled to kill a Remmick as her people believed that it is wrong to take what is not given, especially a life. Myron explained that she doesn’t have to enjoy the kill but they do have to eat. He explained that they “only kill to survive”. Despite the boy shooting early and scaring off the Remmick, Talon was able to shoot the Remmick even from a long distance. Myron was proud of her, but Talon was only saddened as she took a life. Myron told her that Remmick will feed them all Winter. They will use every part of it and each time it fills their bellies they will remember the Remmick and be grateful.
Back at camp, Meadhbh noticed Talon’s pointed ears were gone. She assured Talon that they liked her just as much with pointed ears. Meadhbh couldn’t understand why Talon cut them off, but Talon did not explain. Talon returned after fetching water for dinner to find her new family dead. They had been killed by a man, Varlek, dressed in black, who was also a Blackblood. He wanted to take Talon with him, but she refused to go. He claimed Talon’s mother passed the Asterkinj to Talon so she could pass it to him. She angrily told him she didn't know what he was talking about and kicked him in the crotch. She tried to run away but Varlek tripped her. He went to grab her, but she grabbed her mother’s dagger first and threw it at the man, hitting him the chest and killing him. She then recited what Myron had told her before, that they only kill to survive.
Talon is a survivor of genocide and orphanhood. After witnessing the demise of her entire family and village, she swore to enact revenge on the men responsible. She trained herself to fight against those who would rather oppress her, observing the ways others fought. She is brave, fearless, and determined in her quests. She is jaded from years on her own and doesn't easily trust others. Talon almost always has a plan or tricks up her sleeve. This is shown most prominently when she lied about never having played Octor before, all while hustling men out of their money. She needed the money to repair her damaged window, thus, doing it for her gain. Because of her gender, many people underestimate her, which she has grown to utilize to her advantage.
Talon is a confident woman in every regard. She was rather selfish in her quest to seek revenge on the men who killed her family. She didn't have much regard for how her actions would affect the other members at the Outpost. She also wasn't very friendly toward anyone. This began to change as her friendship with both Janzo and The Smith grows. As she begins to open up around Janzo, Talon is seen to be a kind woman who is curious about the world and where she comes from. The only self-conscious trait she has is about her ears, as she was forced to cut the black tips off to blend in with humans. She has grown protective over that secret and even styles her hair to where they are covered. More then anything, Talon wants to protect herself and those she cares for.
She doesn't trust easily and it takes her a very long time to completely trust someone. She began to trust Zed and allow herself to care about him, even having sex with him. She was still cautious of his intentions despite his insistence that he was being honest with her. This is why when Zed betrayed her she was enraged and instantly fought him. The betrayal hurt Talon and she struggled to recuperate from the betrayal, especially since it came on the heel of a recent fight with a brainwashed Garret.
Talon is a very beautiful and attractive young woman with an oval face, light olive complexion, and striking blue eyes that contrast with her long black hair. She has high cheekbones and a prominent facial structure. Many people call her "beautiful" and "stunning". She knows how to manipulate men using her appearance. Men often underestimate her because of her gender and beauty, making it easy for her to outsmart them. She always retains a stance of power and confidence, with one hand usually on or near her sword.
Talon is a fighter and thus, has a strong and lean athletic physique. She often wears pants and tops that allow her to move and be flexible in case she needs to fight. Her clothing resembles that of a warrior or a traveler. She did wear a dress after Gwynn burned her clothes, but she has yet to be seen in another. Because she doesn't have a specific home, Talon wears the same outfits that are often baggy on her. She is also seen in what has become her trademark green jacket and her mother's dagger. She usually wears a brown leather sword belt that holds her other daggers and later, the sword the Smith made for her. Her hairstyle is simple and covers her ears, as no one is supposed to know of her true race.
After settling in at the Outpost, Talon begins wearing her green jacket underneath a tight leather vest instead of over a loose shirt. She also wears more revealing tops that show her bust. She still heavily incorporates leather into her wardrobe. Her tops have either leather sleeves or a leather vest sewn into them. She wears leather or black pants made out of a material that allows her to move easily. Her clothing becomes more form-fitting and flattering, as opposed to the baggy attire she wore before. This could be due to her having a sustainable income as a barmaid and the Queen's soldier. She also has a larger wardrobe. Talon's clothing and even boots, which have become more refined, resemble that of a higher-class woman.
Talon also begins to be more diverse in her hairstyles. She pulls her hair away from her face in braids or hairstyles that expose her ears, as she no longer has to hide them. Her hair is well-kempt and brushed, compared to her previous hairstyles. Talon retains the same brown leather sword belt, her mother's dagger, and the sword the Smith crafted for her. She also begins carrying an additional dagger in her boot.
Powers and Abilities
Talon possesses all the standard powers and abilities of a Blackblood. Additionally, Talon possesses expert hand-to-hand combat skills, able to defeat and outsmart several opponents who are professionally trained. She has taught herself several forms of martial arts and may have been taught by experts. Talon can defeat almost any enemy that comes her way, including highly-trained soldiers such as Garret Spears and mercenaries known as The Bones.
Because she possesses the Asterkinj passed down from her mother, Talon has additional powers and advantages. She can open the portal to the Plane of Ashes and summon Lu-Qiri into the Earthly plane. She can also use the Voice of Command to control the Lu-Qiri to do her bidding or send them back to the plane of ashes. Because an Asterkinj is a living being, it has the desire to survive. It can open the portal for brief seconds when it wants to if Talon is in mortal danger. While it can't keep the portal open for long, it can save Talon by bringing her to the Plane of Ashes.
- Janzo: Janzo is Talon's first and truest friend at the Outpost. Janzo helped Talon recover from critical injuries. She originally wasn't grateful or trusting of him, but after a few more run-ins with Janzo that ended in her favor, Talon grew to trust him. They became friends and rely on one another. Janzo harbors romantic feelings for Talon and once believed her to be perfect and beautiful, however, Talon hasn't shown much romantic interest in Janzo or anyone. Janzo makes her laugh which is a quality that Talon herself told him is an important quality in a partner. Janzo often blindly follows Talon into battles and situations that he normally wouldn't be involved in and vice versa. He goes out of his way to help her, even though it doesn't always have something in it for him. Talon is protective of Janzo and protects him when she can. After the Outpost was reclaimed, they were attacked by Everit Dred. Talon almost defeated Dred but stopped because Janzo was severely injured. She had to use the hot iron to cauterize his wounds and save his life. To hopefully ease the pain she kissed him. She told him that she hadn't felt that way about anyone since Eramus, but wasn't sure until she had kissed him. Janzo told her that he reciprocated those feelings thinking that she meant romantically. When he learned that Eramus was her brother he was saddened but they hugged. She passed on the opportunity to hunt Dred so she could care for Janzo. He confessed his true feelings to her and she found it flattering but admitted that she didn't feel the same way. Talon even told him that if she did love him back it would make her the luckiest girl in the realms. She elaborated that maybe one day she could return those feelings. Janzo told her enthusiastically that he could wait for her. At the end of the day, they are incredibly loyal to one another.
- Gwynn Calkussar: Gwynn and Talon's relationship fluctuates almost daily. Gwynn found Talon fascinating when she first arrived at the Outpost and thought they were kindred spirits. Talon wanted the Bones dead and Gwynn mistook this as them being allies as Gwynn also needed the Bones dead. Though their reasons appeared vastly different, their mutual disdain for them brought the pair together. It became evident that Gwynn needed Talon to protect her, while Talon needed Gwynn's mind to think out attacks. They are two women in an Outpost and a world, full of men that want to destroy both of them. When it's just the two of them, they get along merrily and can have quite a lot of fun together. They play Octor, drink, and bring out the light-heartedness in one another. Their differing views politically and personally are often sources of conflict between them. Gwynn knows that Talon has feelings for Garret Spears, Gwynn's boyfriend, despite Talon's objections to the opposite. When Gwynn became Queen she wanted things to remain the same between them, but her actions led Talon to believe that she was nothing more than a tool in Gwynn's war against the Prime Order. When this proved to be untrue, they grew close and Talon is Gwynn's only real friend at the Outpost.
- Garret Spears: Garret and Talon have a complex relationship. They first met when she arrived outside the outpost and was attacked by Plaguelings. He saved her life and brought her inside the Outpost. They were friendly and her mysterious agenda for being at Gallwood intrigued Garret and held his interest. Over time, they became allies, but they didn't fully trust one another until both their secrets were revealed. They have romantic feelings for one another but didn't act on them out of respect for Gwynn, Garret's girlfriend, and love. They were each other's sparring partners, and Garret was the only person who challenged Talon physically - even though she ended up defeating him multiple times. Upon Garret being infected by Plagueling venom, Talon was insistent that Janzo would find a cure, despite it being a feasible effort. Garret insisted on joining Talon and Janzo on their quest to find the Book of Names despite his infection. He seemed to be interested in finding the Book only to help Gwynn win her war, however, there seemed to be more to his reasons that he didn't outwardly express. While traveling, Garret asked Talon to kill him if he did turn into a Plagueling. He told her that she was the only one who would - and could - actually do it. She agreed but told him she didn't want to kill him and wouldn't unless they had exhausted every option. When he was attacked in the water by a Terrpock she dove in and saved his life. She then banged on his chest and told a saddened Janzo that Nordejerian clerics claim that it can bring people back to life. She also breathed into his mouth and brought him back to life. When Garret was believed to have been murdered by Everit Dred, Talon wanted to risk the Dragman and everything she worked for to kill Dred out of retribution.
- The Smith: Talon viewed the Smith as a mentor and friend. He helped her navigate the Lu-Qiri and discover the ways of her people. Though his riddles and meticulous ways agitated her, she developed an interesting relationship with him. Upon learning of Smith's role in the slaughter of her people, she felt betrayed and went to see him. She found him mortally injured and was able to come to terms with his involvement. He admitted his guilt and apologized for his past transgressions. Smith told her that she was the only good thing he did in his life. He gifted her with a sword engraved with the Blackblood prophecy, and died in her arms. Talon then took it upon herself to bury him.
- Zed: Talon first met Zed when she freed him and his Lu-Qiri from the Plane of Ashes. When Zed revealed that he hated Rebb as Talon did, they formed a mutual alliance with neither trusting each other fully. They began to form a bond over their mutual heritage, as Zed is the first Blackblood that Talon has really communicated with since she was a child. They butted heads over Talon's hesitation to release the Blackbloods from the Plane of Ashes, while Zed wants her to release them now. As they continued to bond, they eventually became friends when Talon committed to helping him free their people. One night, while they were stopped for a rest, they were watching the stars when the discussion turned intimate. They kissed and slept together. He later betrayed her by lying about what his Kinj can do, and after tried to use mind manipulation on her. She was immune but enraged as she trusted him and might have even cared about him deeply. The betrayal caused them to brutally fight. She then kicked him back to the Plane of Ashes.
Notes and Trivia
- Talon was around the age of ten when her family was murdered and she cut off the points of her ears.